These are three complementary items that come together to make a great meal. The Chicken Piccata with Capers is from Cooking Light, and the Green Beans with Lemon are from Gourmet Magazine via Epicurious. I like to serve these with fresh fettuccine from the refrigerator case of the grocery store as an alternative to dried boxed pasta. It tastes great and also cooks in only 2-3 minutes. Buitoni is the brand I used in this meal.
I didn’t make many changes to the recipes for chicken and green beans, except to substitute fettuccine for the spaghetti called for with the chicken. The fettuccine can be simply prepared by cooking according to the package instructions and then tossing with a little butter so it doesn’t stick together, finely chopped fresh parsley, and freshly ground salt and pepper. With the green beans, either lemon zest (as called for by the recipe) or several strips of lemon zest can be used.
My goal here is to give directions for cooking the three components of the meal simultaneously in an efficient way to make this quick. You will still need to refer to the chicken and green bean recipes for those ingredients and directions. The following is a guide for making all three recipes together:
1. Prep all ingredients that can be done in advance and put them in little individual containers so you can throw them in when it’s time. This includes doing the following:
• Mince garlic
• Wash and trim green beans
• Cut lemon wedges for garnish
• Grate lemon zest or peel strips of lemon peel for green beans
• Finely chop 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
• Pound chicken breasts
• Put flour, in a plate or shallow dish for coating chicken – I like to add some freshly ground salt and pepper to season it
• Preheat oven to 300 to hold chicken after it’s sautéed, before the rest of the food is ready
• Measure out wine* and lemon juice
• Start pots of water boiling for pasta and green beans
2. Start cooking.
• Heat butter and oil in pan for chicken, coat chicken in flour and get it cooking.
• Once the two parts of water are boiling, add pasta and green beans.
3. Chicken – when it’s browned on both sides and just done, remove it from the pan to a large plate and cover it with foil.
• Pasta – when it’s done, drain and put it back in the pan, but turn off the heat. Toss with chopped parsley, butter, salt and pepper.
• Green beans – after they’ve been blanched, drain and return to pan. Toss with butter and lemon zest.
• Sauce for chicken – follow recipe instructions.
• Put pasta on plates as a base/nest for chicken.
• Place chicken on top of pasta.
• Arrange green beans next to pasta/chicken.
• Spoon sauce over chicken and pasta.
• Garnish with lemon wedges and large caper berries.
*TIP: Cook with a white wine you would want to drink, because the dish will take on the flavor of the wine. A couple of affordable suggestions are Bogle Sauvignon Blanc 2006 and Estancia Pinot Grigio 2006. Serve the same wine with dinner.